Starting a career
There are lots of different ways to start a career in adult social care.
You do not necessarily need any specific qualifications or any previous work experience to get a job in social care. It doesn’t matter what your background is, how old you are or your gender as somewhere in your community there could be a role for you to support others.
What really matters in social care are your values and attitude towards helping people who need care and support.
Where do I start?
There are a number of things you can do to find a role working in adult social care including:
- researching different job roles within social care to find out what role might interest you
- visiting your local Jobcentre Plus to ask about opportunities in social care
- writing to or emailing local social care providers such as residential homes or day centres in your area to ask about vacancies they may have
- searching online for possible vacancies in social care within your local area
- exploring apprenticeship opportunities in social care
- speaking to a careers advisors at your school, college or Jobcentre Plus
- undertaking volunteering work in adult social care